crazyguyonabike 
Topic: Bicycle Touring [change]
About  Help  FAQ  Sitemap  Options  Sponsors  Donate 

LONG DISTANCE ADVENTURE CYCLING CHALLENGES IN ASIA - Lifetime cycling achievements: 7 exciting, supported, 1 week Asian challenges e.g. Hanoi to Bangkok.
www.gomaddogs.com

Schwalbe Quality INNERTUBES
15% OFF four-or-more!
www.wallbike.com

CRAZYGUY T-SHIRTS, HOODIES, MUGS, AND MORE - Crazy Guy on a Bike merchandise at Zazzle. All profits go to support CGOAB.
www.zazzle.com

BIKEWIPZ individually wrapped cleaning wipes - Clean, polish, protect frame and components. Mobile! Save weight and space on tour
www.bikewipz.com

Home  My  Journals*  Articles*  Forums*  Reviews*   Resources  Classifieds*  Serendipity  Ratings*  Directory  Search  Website
First Prev Next Last (page 1 of 1) Page 1

Reviews: Rims

Wheel rims

View thread: Chronological Nested

View forum: Messages Threads

Rigida Andra 30 CSS (thread)
Rating: *****   (Average: *****  from 2 votes)
By Sydney Winer on Wed 18 Aug 2010 03:18 (US/Pacific) Edit Delete   Reply (4)   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
This is a heavy rim (735g for 26") - just a shade under the weight of a Sun Rhyno. Is has a thickened wall where the spoke holes are drilled and can be ordered with drilling angled to suit wide flange hubs like Rohloff Speed Hubs. But it's main claim to fame is the Tungsten Carbide particles embedded in the braking surface. The "CSS" stands for Carbide Super Sonic - a reference apparently to the speed at which the Carbide is blasted into the rim's surface.

So what makes it so good for touring? Look at the photo - that's 17,000 km of wear, 12,000 of that on tour. There is NO discernable wear. In the photo I've used the steel rule's shadow to try and define any indent but there just isn't any.

You need pricey Swissstop Blue brake blocks for this rim but as I'm still on the original set they work out cheap in the long run.

The wheels have never needed trueing which I guess is testament to their inherent strength, their build, the thick wall sections and the even spoke tension provided by the dishless nature of the Rohloff hub.

Relation | Bookmark | Edit | | Report | Link
Click here for a larger version of the picture

17,000 km of wear. Beat that! And before anyone says they can discern a slight step from the dirty line above the braking line - that's just accumulated dirt on the rim - compare it to the dirt line that I've cleaned off on the lower edge.

Show links to this pic

Show links to this message

First Prev Next Last (page 1 of 1) Page 1

Website Copyright © 2000-2014 by Neil Gunton Wed 22 Oct 2014 19:59 (US/Pacific) (0.075s)      Top    Link    Report    Terms of Service