crazyguyonabike 
Topic: Bicycle Touring [change]
About  Help  FAQ  Sitemap  Options  Sponsors  Donate 

LONG DISTANCE ADVENTURE CYCLING CHALLENGES IN ASIA - Lifetime cycling achievements: 7 exciting, supported, 1 week Asian challenges e.g. Hanoi to Bangkok.
www.gomaddogs.com

Europe Bike Tours & Barge Bike Tours - Family operated & online since 1999, we offer personally vetted bike tours all over Europe and Asia.
www.tripsite.com

BIKEWIPZ individually wrapped cleaning wipes - Clean, polish, protect frame and components. Mobile! Save weight and space on tour
www.bikewipz.com

Sinewave Cycles Dynamo USB Charger
Keep everything charged on the road! Efficient, waterproof, and made in the USA!
www.sinewavecycles.com

Home  My  Journals*  Articles*  Forums*   Reviews*  Resources  Classifieds*  Serendipity  Ratings*  Directory  Search  Website
 Post  Polls

First Prev Next Last (page 2 of 2) Page 1Page 2

Forum: Tips and Tricks

If you have interesting tidbits on just about anything related to touring, post 'em here...

View thread: Chronological Nested

View forum: Messages Threads

Thread: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? by Simon Goodman on Sat 8 Sep 2012 11:02 (US/Pacific)

<<< Prev

#26: Re: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? (thread)
By Chris Zacho on Fri 28 Sep 2012 18:25 Edit Delete in reply to #1     Reply   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
I have found, discovered and invented many over the decades, some of which are no longer useful because they are for things that no longer exist. I even had a monthly column in my bike club's newsletter. I now have many of them on my web site. Some are no longer useable because of - ahem - "advancements" in technology, but many still are.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/ChrisZCorner/tips.html Scroll down.

All of these have been used in the real world, some more than once. There are more, like removing cogsets without the use of a single tool, but these are for the most part obsolete because no one has the parts they were intended for. Although after reading some of the posts here I'm thinking maybe not completely out of use, so I might reinstate a few.

#27: Re: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? (thread)
By Chris Zacho on Sat 29 Sep 2012 07:04 Edit Delete in reply to #12     Reply (1)   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
Could you please sxplain/expand upon "rack rub protection"?

#28: Re: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? (thread)
By William Abbey on Sat 29 Sep 2012 08:30 Edit Delete in reply to #1     Reply   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
The worst I ever saw was a broken handlebar at the top of a pass just west of Missoula. Moni's bike fell over and the h'bar tube broke clean next to stem (single bolt old style and no it could not be loosened). One of her group fashoned a fix. As I recall, a stick was shaved to fit inside of the tubing. JB Liquid weld or Marine Tex was applied and the stick inserted. Wire, perhaps spokes, more JB was applied outside with string and hose clamps and zip ties. Duct tape covered the "repair" . It was ugly, but she rode it down the hill, gingerly, to the bike store.

#29: Re: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? (thread)
By Jerry Harp on Sat 29 Sep 2012 08:54 Edit Delete in reply to #1     Reply (1)   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
Look closely at the aerobars my hands are on. MacGyvered from pvc pipe, etc from a hardware store while on tour. Worked pretty good. I did get some real ones later.

When riding my DF, I would not leave home without aerobars. Since gone to the dark side with a recumbent. Won't leave home without that now.

That's Spoon's finger at the top.

#30: Re: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? (thread)
By Jerry Witherspoon on Sat 29 Sep 2012 11:55 Edit Delete in reply to #29     Reply   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
Yeah,that's my finger. I was laughing so hard couldn't control the picture:-) Harpo is what is called a slow learner. He eventually does, but it takes great powers of persuasion to disabuse him of his "no fiddle factor" ideas.

Spoon

#31: Re: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? (thread)
By Tom Walwyn on Sun 30 Sep 2012 14:05 Edit Delete in reply to #27     Reply (1)   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
"Could you please sxplain/expand upon "rack rub protection"?"

On our Old Man Mountain racks there were always areas that copped abrasion from the pannier bags. The Aluminium at those spots slowly wore down, so I would 'paint' a 2-3mm thick layer of silicone over these spots and replenish them every month or so when they wore off. It also helped quieten down the rattling when we were bombing down off-road descents.

The alternative for this is to zip tie (fine ones) bits of old inner tube to the rack at the same points. I found this a bit fiddly and didn't have enough zip ties so just used what I had to hand (Silcone).

#32: Re: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? (thread)
By Robert Ewing on Tue 2 Oct 2012 10:19 Edit Delete in reply to #1     Reply   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
I have used many things to fuel my alcohol stove including on one occasion hand sanitizer. It actually brought my Trangia to a half-hearted bloom. I can't recommend it for anything but an emergency as it leave a residue on the bottom of the stove. Although the residue burned out after a few rounds of ethanol.

#33: Re: MacGyver moments on Tour what are yours? (thread)
By Tyson Schimschal on Tue 2 Oct 2012 16:47 Edit Delete in reply to #31     Reply   Printable Relation | Link | Bookmark | Report
I've found industrial strength ( of the home improvement store variety) self adhesive loop velcro to be very affective at protecting the rack at the contact points. It also acts as a 'filler' for when you eventually lose the little spacers in your Ortlieb panniers. No need to reapply, it will last for years.

Show links to this message

First Prev Next Last (page 2 of 2) Page 1Page 2

Website Copyright © 2000-2014 by Neil Gunton Tue 21 Oct 2014 06:30 (US/Pacific) (0.964s)      Top    Link    Report    Terms of Service